One of my favorite pasta dishes in the world is shrimp scampi linguini. It’s so simple yet so good. The combination of fresh pasta, salty shrimp, butter, white wine, garlic and hints of lemon is totally sinful. Honestly, it’s one of my favorite dinners. I can’t believe I haven’t added that recipe to the blog yet! I’ll have to work on getting that recipe up soon. It’s a good one!
So a couple years ago I thought, hmmm I bet shrimp scampi on a pizza would be unreal. So I got in the kitchen and decided to make magic happen. A few hours later the shrimp scampi pizza was born. It was better than I ever imagined. Over the years I’ve refined the pizza and it evolved into “THE SHRIMP ALFREDO PIZZA”. I found that a creamy Alfredo sauce as the base pleased my taste buds a bit more than a butter sauce. Although you can totally skip making the cream sauce, and just use the garlic butter…I don’t recommend it. The creamy white sauce absolutely makes the pizza. You gotta have it!
I know some might be turned off to the idea of shrimp on a pizza, it’s definitely a funky idea if you always stick with ordering your traditionally pepperoni. But oh does the shrimp work so well! It is by far my favorite combination for a pizza. No other combination comes close. Think about buttery garlic bread with shrimp and cheese on top. This pizza is like that except 10 times better. I really don’t think my words are doing it justice. Just make it yourself and you’ll see what I’m talking about!
SHRIMP ALFREDO PIZZA
Prep time: 15-20 minutes
Cook time: 10-12 minutes
Total time: 32 minutes
- Neapolitan pizza dough (see link below)
- 1 lb. white shrimp, peeled washed and deveined
- 2 tbsp butter
- 4 large cloves garlic, minced
- kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1/2 tbsp dried parsley
- 1/4 cup fontina cheese, grated
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1 tbsp lemon juice (about 1/2 large lemon)
- 1 ball fresh mozzarella, sliced thin
- Parmesan cheese
- Preheat the oven to 550 degrees (or as high as the oven will go). Place the pizza stone in the oven as it preheats.
- Season the shrimp with a sprinkle of kosher salt then set aside.
- Heat a large skillet to medium heat and add in the butter. Once melted, add in the shrimp, garlic, red pepper flakes and dried parsley. Cook on one side for two minutes, then flip the shrimp to the other side and cook an addition minute. Remove the shrimp from the pan. (The shrimp should be almost done at this point, they will finish cooking in the oven.)
- Tip: Chop the shrimp in half at this point. This will make it easier to eat on the pizza.
- Add in heavy cream to the pan the shrimp were cooking in. Bring to a soft boil then add in the fontina cheese and lemon juice. Whisk till the sauce is thick. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Stretch your pizza dough out into a large circle. Sprinkle the pizza peel with corn meal and place the dough on top.
- Place about 2-3 large spoonfuls of the white sauce on the pizza dough. Sprinkle on a thin layer of grated Parmesan cheese on top of the sauce. Then place on a layer of fresh mozzarella (however much you’d prefer).
- Carefully place the pizza in the oven on the pizza stone for about 8-10 minutes. The pizza will be pretty much cooked at this point. Remove from the oven and sprinkle on the shrimp. Place back in the oven for up to 1 minute to let the shrimp finish cooking.
- Once the pizza is crisp on the bottom and the edges and the cheese is bubbling…it’s ready. Remove from the oven and serve hot with Parmesan cheese.