I’m sitting here right now enjoying this wonderful salad I just made. I bought salmon today along with some gorgeous asparagus and fresh arugula. I decided to make a salad and add a few other elements I already had on hand. We’ve been eating out quite a bit this past weekend so I desperately was craving something fresh.
I love a big salad that has a lot going on in it. I especially love a salad that fills me up but also has a “light eating” feel to it. This salad is it. If you’ve ever had a niçoise salmon salad, this one has similar items and textures. I love to make this for dinner for my husband and I. It’s a really easy salad to play around with. You could also add green beans, brocoli, boiled eggs, olives, or nuts. You can’t take it in any direction you want and it will be amazing. Although these elements are quite different from one another, the honey lemon vinaigrette really pulls everything together in the end. It’s got a great balance of sweet and acidic. Since the amount this recipe makes is more than one portion size, I love to keep the remaining dressing for a salad for another day.
CLICK TO BUY:
HEARTY SALMON SALAD WITH SWEET HONEY LEMON VINAIGRETTE
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes
Total time: 25-30 minutes
INGREDIENTS FOR VINAIGRETTE:
- 1 large lemon, juice of
- 1/4 cup good quality extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp raw honey
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/2 tsp Dijon mustard
- Mix all ingredients together. Set aside.
INGREDIENTS FOR SALAD:
- 1 Atlantic salmon filet
- 2-3 tbsp olive oil
- 4 small red potatoes
- 4 large pieces asparagus, ends trimmed
- 2 pieces thick cut bacon, sliced into 1 inch strips and cooked till crispy
- 5 cherry tomatoes, sliced in halves
- 1 handful arugula
- Kosher salt
To cook the salmon:
- First, season salmon with kosher salt. Then heat a large cast iron skillet to medium high heat. Once heated, add in olive oil and salmon. Cook salmon about 4-6 minutes per side depending on the thickness. Remove from the heat once cooked to your liking.
To blanch the asparagus:
- Fill a large pot with salted water. Bring to a boil and add in asparagus. Cook for about 2-3 minutes till tender. Remove from the water and transfer to a bowl on ice water. This will stop the cooking process and keep the asparagus bright green in color and perfectly tender.
To cook the potatoes:
- Fill a large pot with salted water and bring to a boil. Add in the potatoes and cook for about 10-12 minutes until the potatoes are fork tender. Strain the potatoes when done and cut into halves.
To assemble the salad:
- Place a heaping handful of arugula into a shallow bowl. On top of that place the salmon, bacon, potatoes, tomatoes and asparagus. Top with honey lemon vinaigrette and a sprinkle of salt and pepper.