Oddly enough, fish tacos remind me of Christmas. My family was traditional (in the not so traditional sense) in the fact that we always had something a little offbeat for Christmas eve dinner. Typically we had either fish tacos, fried shrimp or enchiladas. I know what you’re thinking, how weird! But to us, it was our tradition. I always looked forward to Christmas Eve because it was always a meal I was familiar with and loved dearly. Christmas Day we always had beef tenderloin with my grandparents, so a funky night before Christmas dinner was nice. I’m not the most traditional person and fully intend on carrying on some weird traditions like this with my family.
Everyone has their own preference when it comes to fish tacos… some like them fried, some like them grilled… and then there are people like me who love them blackened! I love to use a flaky white fish and coat it in my favorite blackened seasoning. (Fish like tilapia, cod, or mahi mahi work great). I pan grill it in a thin layer of olive oil and serve with a homemade fluffy flour tortilla. I think the blackened seasoning enhances the mild flaky fish in the best way possible and adds a little extra pizzazz to the taco. I then top with a fresh avocado tomatillo salsa, crunchy chipotle lime slaw, and spicy pico de gallo. If I’m feeling extra bad, I drizzle on a thick helping of my favorite white queso, which I will link below.
WHITE QUESO, AVOCADO PURÉE, + GUAJILLO CHILI HOT SAUCE
If you’re not feeling up to making homemade flour tortillas, store-bought will do just fine. If I’m feeling lazy and not up to the job, I purchase the flour tortillas in the refrigerated section (usually next to the cheese and butter) these tortillas are still raw and need to be heated up on the stove. It’s a little extra work, but I find them to be ten times better than the pre made ones in a bag. (Just a tip and recommendation for your next tortilla purchase!)
CLICK TO PURCHASE:
BLACKENED FISH TACOS:
Prep time: 1 hour
Cook time: 30 minutes
Total time: 1 hour 30 minutes
Serves: 12 tacos
FOR PICO DE GALLO CLICK HERE: PICO DE GALLO
FOR FLUFFY FLOUR TORTILLAS CLICK HERE: FLUFFY FLOUR TORTILLAS
INGREDIENTS for avocado tomatillo salsa:
- 5 tomatillos, outer skin removed and washed
- 1 Serrano chili
- Olive oil
- Kosher salt
- 1/2 avocado
- 1/2 large lime, juice of
- 1/4 cup cilantro
- 2 tbsp sour cream
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
- Place the tomatillos and serrano chili on a baking sheet. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with kosher salt. Place in the oven for about 15-18 minutes (till the tomatillos/serrano are soft and tender and slightly blistered).
- Remove from the oven at this point and transfer to a blender. Blend till smooth. Add in 1 pinch of salt (or more to taste), avocado, lime juice, cilantro and sour cream. Blend till smooth. Remove from the blender and transfer to a bowl.
- Set aside or cover and chill in the fridge till ready to use.
INGREDIENTS for chipotle lime slaw:
- 1/4 cup cilantro, leaves and stems chopped
- 1 cup green cabbage, sliced thin
- 1 cup purple cabbage, sliced thin
- 3 scallion, green and whites sliced thin
- 1/4 small red onion, sliced paper thin diagonally
- Place all ingredients in a large bowl and mix with 2-3 tbsp chipotle lime mayo (recipe below).
INGREDIENTS for chipotle lime mayo
- 1-7 oz. can chipotles in adobo (1 tbsp adobo sauce and 1 chipotle, discard the remaining)
- 1/2 large lime, juice of
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 pinch kosher salt
- Place all ingredients in a blender and blend till smooth. Transfer to a bowl then follow slaw directions.
INGREDIENTS for fish:
- 4 tilapia filets
- Blackened seasoning (like Emeril’s blackened seasoning, or chef Paul blackened redfish magic seasoning)
- 3-4 tbsp olive oil
- Cut tilapia filets into 4 equal pieces. Season generously with blackened seasoning.
- Heat a cast iron skillet to medium high heat. Add in olive oil and tilapia. (Do in batches so the pan is not over crowded). Cook tilapia about 3 minutes per side.
- Remove from pan and repeat till all the fish is cooked.
ASSEMBLY FOR BLACKENED FISH TACOS:
- Flour tortilla, 2 pieces fish, avocado tomatillo salsa, chipotle lime slaw, pico de gallo.
- Serve with lime wedges.