I typically don’t go all out for breakfast during the week. When it comes to the weekend, however, I love to make us something savory and filling. This naan bread pizza is just that. Naan bread is a bread made in mainly Asia and India. It’s a thick bread that resembles pita in some ways. Unlike pita, it tastes very buttery and is quite thick. I love to use naan bread for a quick alternative to pizza dough. It’s got such a great flavor and can be manipulated easily. You can find this bread in the bakery of most grocery stores. There will be several different “flavors” you can choose from and even different shapes. I like the original naan and also love the flatbread shape as well. Although I didn’t use it, the garlic naan bread flavor would be wonderful in this recipe.
This recipe is pretty straight to the point (as most pizza recipes are). But I just had to share this lovely combination with you all. There’s something about a fried egg on a pizza that makes my taste buds smile. I’m a big believer on the fact that breakfast can be an all day thing. Have this pizza morning, noon or night and you won’t regret it. I top this pesto pizza with burrata, cherry tomatoes, arugula, scallions, parmesan, red pepper flakes and balsamic glaze. If you cannot find burrata in your grocery store, you can substitute fresh mozzarella instead. Simply slice the mozzarella ball into thin slices and randomly place on the naan bread wherever you feel necessary (I love cheese, who doesn’t? So I’m very generous when it comes to dressing the pizza.).
The pesto I’m using for this pizza was actually made a few days ago. It makes a big amount so I love to use it in different recipes throughout the week. This pizza being one of them. If you happen to make it solely for this pizza, I recommend you check it my shrimp and scallop pesto pasta. It uses the same pesto and is to die for! Must check it out and make it for a special night!
CLICK TO PURCHASE:
NAAN BREAKFAST PIZZA WITH PESTO AND BURRATA
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 6-8 minutes
Total time: 15-20 minutes
- 1 piece Naan bread
- 2 small balls of burrata, cut into fourths
- Pesto (link in directions below)
- 1/3 cup arugula
- 1 scallion, sliced thin
- 1/4 cup cherry tomatoes, sliced in halves
- 1 egg, fried
- Balsamic glaze (favorite store bought brand, I use Trader Joe’s)
- Olive oil
- Parmesan cheese, grated
- Red pepper flakes
- Preheat the oven to 550 degrees F and place a pizza stone on the top rack.
- Click here to make: SPINACH & BASIL WALNUT PESTO
- Generously brush naan bread with olive oil and place in the oven (on the pizza stone) till slightly toasted. Will take about 2 minutes. This first step will help the naan to get crispy in the bottom.
- Remove from the oven with a pizza peel and spread on a layer of the spinach and basil walnut pesto. Place the burrata sporadically on top of the naan and place back in the oven for an additional 4 minutes (or until hot, the cheese is melted and edges are crisp).
- Remove from the oven and place fried egg, cherry tomatoes, arugula, scallions and balsamic glaze on top.
- Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and red pepper flakes. Slice into quarters and serve immediately.