This recipe goes way back to my childhood. My grandmother would make this sheet cake so often when I was a kid. Even now, every time I visit my grandparents at our family ranch, there’s always a freshly baked chocolate fudge sheet cake waiting for us. It’s one of those timeless recipes that I hope to continue to pass down to my kids. Although I tweak the recipe here and there, I always find that it’s good no matter what. When I eat this cake, my mind instantly flashes to my families faces… all sitting around the kitchen digging our forks into a piece of this magical thing. Everyone has a warm smile on their face talking about “How damn good it is.”. It really is damn good, you can take my word for it.
This recipe is not complicated at all. The batter comes together in less than 15 minutes and bakes within 20 minutes. It’s quick, easy, and delicious. Try it out yourself and serve with a cold glass of milk. Maybe this will be your new aimless recipe that will be passed down through the generations.
CLICK TO BUY:
CHOCOLATE SHEET CAKE
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 400 degrees F for 20 minutes
Total time: 35 minutes
INGREDIENTS for cake:
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 cup butter (2 sticks)
- 2 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3.5 tbsp Hershey’s chocolate syrup
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- In a large bowl, sift together flour, sugar and baking soda.
- Place butter, water, unsweetened chocolate, and hershey’s syrup in a large tall sided pan and bring to a rapid boil.
- Pour chocolate mixture over the flour mixture and stir to combine.
- Add in buttermilk, eggs, and vanilla. Mix together and then transfer to a 15X10 baking sheet.
- Bake cake for 20 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Let cake cool for 15-20 minutes and then pour on the frosting and spread in an even layer. (frosting recipe below)
INGREDIENTS for frosting:
- 1/2 cup butter
- 4 tbsp unsweetened dark chocolate cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 box powdered sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- Combine butter, cocoa powder and milk in a large pan. Bring to a boil and then remove from the heat.
- At this point, add in the powdered sugar and vanilla. Stir to combine.
- Add in the pecans and mix again.
- Serve on top of cake.