This is one of those salads that you just feel good about while eating. It’s loaded with good healthy proteins, and tossed with a yummy light and sweet lemon vinaigrette. The vinaigrette is naturally sweetened with honey and it definitely makes a difference. Quinoa is one of my favorite healthy fillers for a meal. It’s gluten free, packed with protein and high in fiber. It has so many amazing benefits, which in turn makes my body feel good when I eat it. Although I added chicken, you certainly can go without. With so many elements in this salad, the chicken will not be missed. I personally love to add meat to salad, but its definitely not a necessary component.
I’ve been sick with a cold the last few days so I was really craving something super healthy today . This is exactly that. Like I’ve said before, I love to eat a salad for lunch and am always looking for news ways to switch it up. This salad is so filling, flavorful and also good for you.
KALE & QUINOA SALAD WITH BLACKENED CHICKEN, AVOCADO AND BEETS
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 15 minutes
Total time: 30 minutes
Serves: 2 dinner portions
INGREDIENTS for SALAD:
- 3-4 cups curly kale, washed and chopped small
- 1 large carrot, peeled and cut julienne
- 1/4 cup pine nuts, toasted
- 3 beets, cooked and sliced into thin rounds or into squares
- 4-6 oz. goat cheese crumbles
- 1/2-1 cup quinoa, cooked and cooled to room temperature
- 1 avocado, sliced thin or into chunks
- 2 chicken breast, cut into 1.5 inch chunks
- Blackened seasoning, like Emeril’s blackened seasoning
- Combine all ingredients into a large bowl (besides the goat cheese — will use later on) and mix with vinaigrette (recipe below). Place salad in the fridge to stay cool (optional).
- In a separate large bowl, add in raw chicken and enough blackened seasoning to coat chicken pieces. Mix to allow seasoning to reach all sides of the chicken.
- Heat a large cast iron skillet to medium high heat, add in chicken and cook till done (about 3-4 minutes per side).
- Place chicken on top of salad and sprinkle of goat cheese crumbles. Serve immediately.
INGREDIENTS for VINAIGRETTE:
- 1 large lemon, juice of
- 1/4 cup good quality olive oil
- 1 tbsp raw honey
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 tsp dijon mustard
- Whisk all ingredients together.