If you know me well, you know I start my morning off each day with a dirty chai latte (typically iced). I’m obsessed. A “dirty chai” is a chai latte with a shot of espresso. I love the flavor but don’t love the extra caffeine, so I use decaf espresso using my Breville Nespresso Creatista Plus Espresso Machine (linked below). It’s basically the best combination to ever exist… not to mention the aroma that fills the room. Although I ususally buy my chai powder, I thought it would be fun to make my own. Mmmm and I’m so glad I did. So yummy! If you want to buy chai powder (online or in stores), I’ve linked a few below that I’ve used and love. If you can’t already tell, I’m a big chai lover and have been since I was a teenager… so I’ve tried plenty of brands throughout my life.
Some of my favorite brands include: (Click link to purchase from Amazon)
TRADER JOES SPICED CHAI, buy online or at Trader Joes
PACIFIC CHAI, buy online or found at Kroger
OREGON CHAI, buy online or found Kroger
Link to espresso machine I own is below:
I cannot rave enough about this machine. I got it as a gift for my wedding. It was by far the greatest and most used gift I have. I’ve been drinking coffee for over a decade now and have been in love with it’s taste and aroma since day 1. I set out to find the perfect espresso machine earlier in 2018. I wanted something fairly small and not too bulky. I wanted something that wasn’t complicated to operate. I also wanted something that’s fast yet efficient. Most importantly a machine that could make high quality coffee. I also needed the machine to have a milk frother attached and wasn’t too pricey. We all know how expensive some of these machines can be.
HOW TO MAKE A CHAI LATTE (ICED OR HOT):
- Place 2 tbsp chai powder in a mug or glass (mug for hot, glass for iced).
- For regular chai: Pour a couple tbsps of very hot water on top of the chai powder and mix till dissolved.
- For a dirty chai: pour one shot of espresso over the chai powder and mix till dissolved.
- For a hot chai latte: Use a milk steamer to steam milk (I use sweetened vanilla almond milk, it has a great sweet flavor that enhances the drink).
- For a cold chai latte: pour almond milk over the dissolved chai powder and mix. Top with ice.
CLICK TO PURCHASE ITEMS FROM ABOVE:
CHAI LATTE POWDER
- 1 cup unsweetened instant tea
- 1 cup non-fat milk powder
- 1 cup powdered non-dairy creamer
- 1 cup powdered non-dairy vanilla flavored creamer
- 1.5 cups granulated sugar
- 1 tsp ground cloves
- 1.5 tbsp cinnamon
- 1.5tsp ground ginger
- 1tsp ground cardamom
- 1tsp all spice
- Place all the ingredients in a food processor and blend till the powder is smooth
- Transfer to a container with a lid and save for up to 6-8 months.
- Refer to the top of the page on how to make a hot or iced chai tea latte.