Breakfast tacos are always my go-to breakfast. Maybe It’s because I’m from south Texas? I definitely like to credit my home town with my love for all things Mexican food… and of course tacos! I grew up going through our favorite drive-thru Mexican restaurant every morning on the way to school. From elementary to to middle school, we always saved time for the drive-thru. Even through high-school I always loved to get tacos before school. I was so spoiled with that convenient Mexican food drive-thru. I thought all cities had this “fast food”. I was wrong. OH.. how I was wrong.
I miss the convenience of breakfast tacos more than you know. So I’m always making up new and exciting versions of “breakfast tacos” here in Atlanta. I feel like the least I can do is bring a little bit of Corpus Christi to the “south”. This version of a breakfast taco is definitely not authentic. Although it is very delicious and a bit more on the healthy side for a taco. I didn’t use any unhealthy oils or flour. It’s as healthy as a breakfast taco can be lol! This taco consists of a delicious and spicy chorizo potato hash. It’s wrapped in a charred corn tortilla blanket and topped with a gooey fried egg and fresh avocado. Simple ingredients and bold flavors are something I like to incorporate when creating a recipe. These tacos are just that. With only a handful of ingredients, you can create a yummy taco breakfast for you and your loved ones. I like to make a big skillet of hash and save it for the week in the fridge. So delicious and so easy!
POTATO & CHORIZO HASH TACOS WITH A FRIED EGG
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes
Total time: 30 minutes
Serves: 6-8 tacos
- 2 links chorizo sausage, casing removed (like brand: La Banderita)
- 6 small red potatoes, washed and cut into small squares
- 1 serrano chili, small dice
- 1 poblano, small dice
- 1 yellow onion, small dice
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2tsp kosher salt, more or less to taste
- 1/4tsp chili powder
- 1/4 tsp ground cumin
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup cherry tomatoes, sliced in half
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 avocado, for topping
- Favorite hot sauce, for topping
- 6 eggs, fried
- Heat a large skillet to medium high heat (I used a cast iron). Add in chorizo and cook for about 5-7 minutes, until done and crispy on the edges. Remove from the pan and set aside. Do not rinse pan.
- Add olive oil and potatoes to the skillet. Stir and cook till the edges get slightly brown, about 5 minutes. Add in serrano chili, poblano chili and onion. Stir and cook for and additional 3-4 minutes while continuing to stir.
- Add in spices. Stir to incorporate.
- After spices are in, add water and cover with a lid immediately. Turn heat down to medium low. By trapping the steam, the potatoes will cook and become tender. Cook with the lid on for about 6-8 minutes, or until potatoes are tender.
- Once potatoes are soft, turn off the heat. Fold in cherry tomatoes and cilantro. Also add back in cooked chorizo.
- Serve will corn tortillas (heated over a gas stovetop or in a pan with a touch of butter). Top with more cilantro, avocado slices, hot sauce and a fried egg.