I absolutely love greek flavors. I’ve always loved a good greek salad… so adding pasta into the mix just makes it that much better. I think my heart fell for greek food in college. There was this little greek restaurant called “Volta” in Oxford, Mississippi… where I went to study at Ole Miss. Clay, my husband, and I probably ate there 5 times a week. I’m not even exaggerating. We loved the place THAT much. It was quick and delicious each and every time. I always ordered the greek salad while Clay got the chicken souvlaki. Plus there homemade hummus and pita bread to share. My mouth is watering now just thinking about that salad. It had so much texture and crunch. Plus I always added the greek marinated chicken to top it off. It is the best place and probably the restaurant I miss the most now that I’m gone. Since leaving Oxford, I took it upon myself to recreate that salad. It will forever be one of my favorites.
So this pasta salad… It has all those greek flavors you know and love. It’s loaded down with several veggies and is finished off with a tangy greek vinaigrette. Oh my goodness, it’s heaven. It almost makes me miss Volta more… if that’s possible. Hey Volta.. if you’re reading this…come to Atlanta and open a restaurant! Please and thank you!
GREEK PASTA SALAD
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 10 minutes (pasta)
Total time: 20 minutes
Serves: 4-6 side portions
INGREDIENTS for creamy greek vinaigrette:
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp dijon mustard
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp dried parsley
- 1/4 tsp dried basil
- 1 clove garlic, grated or pushed through a press
- Combine all the ingredients in a bowl and whisk together thoroughly.
INGREDIENTS for greek salad:
- 1/2 lb. bowtie pasta, cooked
- 1 cup cucumber, seeded and diced into small squares
- 1 small red bell pepper, diced into squares
- 1/4 cup red onion, sliced paper thin
- 1/2 cup kalamata olives, diced in half
- 1/2 cup tri-colored cherry tomatoes, diced in half
- 1/2 cup feta, crumbled
- 4 oz. soppressata, sliced into half rounds
- Arugula or spring mix for garnish (optional)
- Combine all ingredients in a bowl. Add the greek vinaigrette a little at a time while mixing the salad. Depending on how much dressing you prefer, you may or may not use all of the vinaigrette. It’s all about preference.
- Enjoy right away or chill for up to 24 hours.