This overnight sweet breakfast casserole is the perfect thing to bake for a crowd. Simply prep it the night before and place in the fridge overnight. Take out of the fridge an hour before cooking and then place in the oven for about 30 minutes. Serve with whipped cream and extra chocolate chips if you’re feeling generous. It only takes 10 minutes to prep, so why not make it? Plus, it’s a super cheap meal that will serve your whole family. Casseroles like this are great for the holidays or on the weekends if you have company over. Or perfect for a simple Sunday morning for your kids. Anyone who loves a sweet breakfast won’t be able to turn this one down.
I love chocolate. Personally, I don’t think there’s such a thing as “too much chocolate”. Whenever I test recipes or if I’m making something from a cookbook, I always add more chocolate than they tell me to. Why? Because chocolate is amazing. It’s as simple as that.
OVERNIGHT CHOCOLATE FRENCH TOAST CASSEROLE
Prep time: 10 minutes + 12 hours sitting
Cook time: 20-30 minutes
Total time: 13 hours
Serves: 6- 8 servings
- 14 oz. day old brioche or white bread, cut into 1 inch chunks
- 1/2 almonds, slivered
- 1/2 cup semi sweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup milk chocolate chips
- 5 eggs
- 1.5 cups chocolate milk
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Place the brioche chunks in a large 8×13 baking dish. Sprinkle the chocolate chips and almonds on top of the bread in an even layer.
- In a large bowl combine eggs, chocolate milk, sugar and vanilla extract.
- Pour the milk mixture over the bread and push down on the bread slightly so the milk absorbs.
- Cover with plastic wrap and place in the fridge overnight (or for 12 hours).
- Take out of the fridge 1 hour before baking so that it comes to room temperature. If you bake it cold, it will take longer.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Place in the oven uncovered for about 20-30 minutes.
- Serve with whipped cream and extra chocolate chips.