This is my go to lunch or dinner when I’m hungry but want to eat “lighter”. It’s the perfect light salad with tons of veggies like strawberries, carrots, cucumbers, avocado and thinly sliced red onion. It’s tossed along with a good combo of spring mixed lettuce and romaine. It’s my favorite combination for lettuce in salads. You get the crunchy romaine, peppery arugula, and leafy spring lettuce. To top it off, I add goat cheese crumbles, toasted slivered almonds, and some simple but juicy pan grilled chicken breast. Lastly I do a heavy drizzle of a homemade sweet lemon poppy seed dressing. It’s easy, delicious, and healthy for the most part.
My husband is not the biggest “salad for a meal” kind of guy. He’s more a meat and potatoes man… but this salad is one of his favorites. It has tons of crunch and multiple textures that keep the salad new with every bite. With each forkful, you’ll find something different. I can always count on this salad to please the whole family.
Want to serve something alongside this salad? Make it a little more filling and add a side of fries or onion rings!
STRAWBERRY & GOAT CHEESE SPRING SALAD WITH LEMON POPPYSEED DRESSING
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 15 minutes
Total time: 30 minutes
Serves: 2 dinner portion salads
INGREDIENTS for salad:
- 2-4 steps bacon
- 1 chicken breast, filet in half
- salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, paprika
- 5 oz. Spring mix
- 1 head romaine lettuce, chopped
- 1/4 small red onion, thinly sliced
- Carrot, grated or julliened
- Slivered almonds, toasted
- Goat cheese
INGREDIENTS for dressing:
Whisk all ingredients together.
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp poppy seeds
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1/2 large lemon, juice of
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1 tsp dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp mayonaise
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Fry bacon in a large pan. Drain on paper towels. Do not drain rendered fat… use that to cook the chicken in.
- Sprinkle both sides of the chicken breast with each of the spices. Place in the same pan as the bacon was cooked on medium heat. Cook about 4-6 minutes a side, depending on how thick the breast is. Drain on paper towels and let sit for 5 minutes. Cut into thin strips.
- Combine all ingredients in a large bowl. Toss together with dressing and serve immediately.