Chicken salad croissant sandwich… is there any other meal that screams “lunch” more than this one? I don’t think so. This is the perfect “deli style” meal made at home. The good news? This recipe makes enough chicken salad for the whole week! I love a meal I can prep before my week begins and make it easy each day when the clock strikes noon. It’s one of my favorite childhood meals and I love it even more now as an adult. What’s better than pull apart chicken tossed with mayo, celery, spices and some citrus? Nothing. Nothing is better. This is a classic meal that will never go out of style. It’s a little time consuming when it comes to boiling the chicken… which is why this is the perfect Sunday afternoon activity. I like to spend my Sundays relaxing with my family and planning out the week ahead. My taking it slow on Sunday, it helps me to keep my week organized. This chicken salad is a classic that no one can deny.
I served mine in a croissant with a thick slice of tomato, avocado and lettuce. I added some sweet purple grapes and plain potato chips on the side. This is not the only way you can serve it. I love to have a big scoop on top of a simple romaine salad with a few veggies tossed in. You can also make some chicken salad lettuce wraps and treat them as “tacos”. Or you can simply eat it on its own with a nice green smoothie. The combinations are endless. Like I said, it’s a classic. It’s hard to beat it!
Anytime I go to shoot a recipe, I have to shoot around my son picking off the plates. It’s always, “oh this looks yummy” “don’t mind if I do”. Annoying but also extremely cute so I’ll let it slide lol!
THE BEST CHICKEN SALAD
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 1 hour
Total time: 1 hour, 30 minutes
Serves: 3-4 lb chicken salad
INGREDIENTS for chicken:
- 5 lb whole chicken, broken down
- Hot water
- 2 tbsp chicken bouillon base
- Place the chicken pieces in large pot with a lid. Fill the pot of with enough water to cover the chicken. Add in the bouillon base and turn the heat to high. Bring water to a boil. Once boiling, reduce to a low simmer and place the lid on. Cook for 30 minutes on simmer. Turn the heat off and then let the pot sit for an additional 30 minutes.
- Remove the chicken from the broth. Pull the chicken apart and shred with your hands. Discard the fatty skin and the bone.
- TIP: Save broth in the freezer for soups, sauces, gravy, etc. The broth is super salty and can be used for so many different things.
INGREDIENTS for chicken salad:
- Shredded chicken (see above)
- 2 tsp kosher salt, more or less to taste
- 2 tsp ground black pepper
- 3/4 cup mayo
- 1 large lemon, juice of
- 1 tsp dijon mustard
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 3/4 cup chopped celery
- Place all ingredients in a large food processor. Pulse just until all ingredients are combined. You don’t want to over pulse, or the chicken salad with taste grainy. Removed from the food processor into a large bowl. If you do not own a food processor, simple mix together with a fork.
- TIP: If you like your chicken salad on the creamier side, you can add more mayo. If you like it less creamy, you can use less mayo. Its all personal choice.
- Once transferred to a bowl, you may also add: craisens, golden raisins, or halved grapes.
- Serve on a croissant with tomato, lettuce and avocado. Pair with chips or grapes.