This is my twist on a classic American sandwich we all know and love. It’s a sandwich that can be found in a deli or at home during lunch time. I created a slightly off-beat version with an addition of pan cooked salmon, a fresh dill aioli and pickled red onions. These 3 extras really bring the sandwich to life and add a heartier more vibrant bite. I combine all of the ingredients in between 2 toasted slices of a French loaf. Other breads that would be great with this would be ciabatta, multigrain, sourdough or plain ole white or wheat bread. You can really just use whatever you have on hand.
I love to make this sandwich when I have leftover salmon in the fridge from the night before. Last night we had salmon with a lemon caper pasta in a white wine butter sauce. It’s one of my favorite easy weeknight dinners which I’ll link below. I always cook too much food (I love leftovers the day after, always have!). Since I had an extra piece of salmon, I put together the rest of the ingredients and made a delicious lunch out of it. Using leftovers in a different way the day after is something I’ve gotten pretty good at over the years. I love to mix things up and incorporate items I already have on hand. I hate to waste food, which I’m sure everyone feels the same. I feel guilty when I throw away unused food that had gone bad in the fridge. It’s a waste of food and also a waste of money. So getting creative is making something “new” is how I use up the items in my fridge.
Serve BLT with:
SALMON BLT WITH LEMON DILL AIOLI
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes
Total time: 30 minutes
Serves: 1 large sandwich big enough for 2
- 1 Atlantic salmon filet, skin removed
- Olive oil
- Kosher salt
- Ground black pepper
- 2 slices thick cut applewood smoked bacon, cooked
- Romaine or iceberg lettuce
- Tomato, sliced thick
- French bread, toasted
INGREDIENTS FOR AIOLI:
Mix everything together. Set aside.
- 3 tbsp mayonnaise
- 1/2 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 pinch kosher salt
- 1 pinch ground black pepper
- 1 tsp fresh dill, chopped
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
Click here for the recipe for the pickled red onions: CHIPOTLE PORK TACOS WITH BLACK BEAN PURÉE & PICKLED ONIONS
- Sprinkle both sides of the salmon with kosher salt and pepper. Heat a large pan to medium heat (I used a cast iron skillet). Drizzle in enough olive oil to coat the pan, about 1-2 tbsp. Place the salmon in the pan and cook about 3-4 minutes per side for medium, or until cooked to your liking.
- To assemble: smear a spoonful of the aioli on each side of the toasted bread. Place a handful of lettuce on the bottom half, followed by 2 slices of tomato. Add the salmon, pickled onions and bacon next. Close the sandwich and enjoy hot.