If you know me, then you know I love a good stir fry for a weeknight dinner. It’s easy, quick, delicious and pleases everyone at the table. (My 3 year old is obsessed with this dish!) It comes together in about 30 minutes and the cleanup is not too horrendous. My wonderful husband helps to clean up after dinner…so he’s always grateful when there’s not a pile of dishes in the sink!
It’s like ordering takeout but better. It’s fresh, hot and has a homemade taste. Plus, you know exactly what ingredients are going into your dinner (unlike ordering takeout covered in oil, yuck!). I don’t know about you, but my favorite part of cooking at home is hand picking my ingredients and being able to see how my food is being made.
Aside from a 4 ingredient homemade soy based sauce, there aren’t many ingredients that go into making this dish. It’s simple. Chicken, eggs, snap peas, noodles, garlic, onion and ginger…that’s about it! I love to top mine with toasted peanuts and scallions for a little extra texture.
STIR FRIED SPICY UDON NOODLES WITH CHICKEN AND SUGAR SNAP PEAS
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 15 minutes
Total time: 25 minutes
Serves: 3 large portions
- 1/2 lb Udon noodles, cooked, drained and rinsed with cold water
- 2 tbsp canola oil
- 1 chicken breast, thinly sliced
- 1/2 yellow onion, large dice
- 4 large cloves garlic, small chop
- 1 tbsp fresh ginger, small chop
- 1 cup sugar snap peas
- 2 eggs
- 1 bundle scallion, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup peanuts, toasted
For the sauce:
- 1/4 cup dark brown sugar, not packed
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1 tbsp chili paste, more or less to taste
- 1 tbsp oyster sauce
- Cook udon noodles for about 4 minutes in boiling water, being mindful to not overcook. The noodles should be almost done (but not quite done) cooking when you drain and rinse thoroughly with cold water. Set aside.
- Heat a large wok to medium high heat. Add in canola oil and then the chicken. Sauté chicken for about 2-3 minutes while stirring. The chicken will be half way cooked at this point. Move chicken to one side of the wok. On the other side, crack both eggs in. Stir around till the egg is cooked.
- Add in snap peas, onion, garlic and ginger. Stir together ingredients in the wok and cook for an additional 2 minutes so the veggies become slightly tender.
- Add in the rinsed noodles and sauce at this point. Stir to coat the noodles with the sauce. The noodles will start to cook and soak up the sauce. Stir around every 20 seconds. Once the noodles have soaked up 95% of the sauce, it’s done. Turn off the heat.
- Serve hot with scallions and toasted peanuts.