When I think of summer, watermelon is the first thing that comes to mind. They are at their best this time of the year when the weather is hot. To me, there is nothing better on a scorching hot day than a chilled and juicy slice of watermelon. Breakfast, lunch and dinner…it doesn’t matter. I’ll find a way to incorporate it with whatever we are eating. One of my favorite ways to serve? A simple watermelon salad.
The salad is only a few ingredients but my goodness it all works so well together. The sweet watermelon, chunks of feta, fresh basil leaves, cucumber slices, and a touch of red onion… all marry together to make the perfect side item. I serve it drizzled with a simple vinaigrette to top it off.
How should I eat it, you ask?
Another way to serve it? Swap the basil for fresh mint for a refreshing change of pace. Another way? Pile a few heaping spoonfuls over a mix of spring leaves. Add in some grilled chicken and you have yourself a healthy and delicious lunch.
You can also pair it on the side! Here are some great summer meal ideas:
WATERMELON BASIL SALAD WITH FETA & BALSAMIC VINAIGRETTE
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 0
Total time: 10 minutes
Serves: About 4 side portions
- 1/4 watermelon (about 2-3 cups), cut into bite sized chunks
- 1/4 cup feta cheese, more or less to taste
- 1 bunch fresh basil, chopped small
- 1/4 small red onion, sliced paper thin into strips
- 1/4 English cucumber, cut into half circles
For balsamic vinaigrette: combine together and whisk.
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 2 tbsp olive oil, good quality
- 1 pinch freshly ground black pepper
- 1 pinch kosher salt
- 1 tsp honey
- Combine all ingredients in a bowl and gently mix till dressing is spread throughout.