Would you believe me if I told you these biscuits are made with only 4 ingredients. Yes, only four. Chances are you’ll already have all the ingredients on hand. Self rising flour, butter, buttermilk, and salt. These biscuits are so moist and buttery. They are restaurant quality all the way. So luscious and dense. Plus once you brush them with honey butter, they are pretty much absolutely sinful. Oh and did I mention… they only take 5 minutes to prep and 10 minutes to cook. So basically you have homemade biscuits on your table in less than 20 minutes. So why not make them every Sunday, right? They so easy you’ve got to give them a try.
My husband was playing golf this past Sunday morning when I got the idea to make sausage and biscuits. It’s pretty much his favorite breakfast I make…so I knew he’d be so jealous and hurry home a little faster, maybe? Well that was my hope, ha! These biscuits can be served in so many ways. Fried chicken biscuits, sausage biscuits, bacon & egg biscuits, biscuits & jelly, biscuits & honey butter, egg and cheese biscuits, biscuits & sausage gravy (another favorite of mine) …. I mean…. the list could go on and on.
I didn’t really grow up with biscuits for breakfast. Sure, my mom would make us those flaky biscuits from the can but never homemade ones. Either way, biscuits were never on the menu that often. It was either breakfast tacos…or….breakfast tacos (lol). Or pastries from the grocery store or can. Growing up in south Texas, tacos were served at every meal so we ate a lot of drive through tacos on the way to school! When I went off to Ole Miss for college, I would always order biscuits from this cute little place called Big Bad Breakfast. So I quickly found out to make them at home. 5 years later…and I’m still making them every now and then! They are such a good treat on the weekend.
When I have leftovers, I like to store them individually in the fridge. I wrap a biscuit, sausage and honey butter all together in sandwich form in a sheet of foil. They stay good for a few days and make great breakfast on the go or lunch!
PRODUCTS I LOVE:
BUTTERMILK BISCUITS WITH SAUSAGE & HONEY-BUTTER
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 10-15 minutes
Total time: 25 minutes
Serves: 8 biscuits
- 2.5 cups self rising flour
- 1 stick salted butter, place in the freezer for 5 minutes before use
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
For sausage: Cook in the shape of thin patties
- 1 lb. your favorite breakfast sausage
For honey butter: Melt together and then allow to cool
- 4 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp honey
- Preheat oven to 475 degrees F.
- Whisk together flour and salt in a large bowl.
- Grate the frozen butter with a cheese grater and add into the flour. Use your hands to mix the butter into the flour.
- Add in the buttermilk and mix together with a fork until dough comes together. Pour out the dough onto a clean surface. Work it with your hands slightly to bring the dough together completely. Do not over work it. Use your hands to push the dough down until it is about 1.5 inches thick.
- Use a large biscuit cutter to cut out the biscuits. This amount of dough should make about 8 large biscuits, or 10-12 small ones.
- Place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. The biscuits should be touching at the edges.
- Place in the oven for 10 minutes. After, remove from oven and brush with a heavy layer of honey butter on top. Place back in the oven for 30 seconds to a minute (just enough to get the honey warm and slightly caramelized).
- Slice each biscuit in half and rub each side with more honey butter. Stuff with a sausage patty and enjoy while hot.