My husband and I are both typically drained after the day. He works outside all day while I’m at home with our almost 4 year old son. Both very different days, but exhausting in their own way. So by the time dinner rolls around I want something easy and quick and somewhat healthy, but delicious. Chicken is typically what I lean towards during the week since it’s lean and cooks fairly quickly.
One of my favorite meals during the week is grilled chicken with pico de gallo on top. I serve it with rice or a green salad. It’s fresh, bright, healthy and filling. So I decided to make an Italian version. Bruschetta is a delicious combination of fresh tomatoes, basil and some olive oil. Very simple yet very tasty. And then that mixture is served over a crunchy piece of French bread. I added my twist on this classic and made it my own. Instead of a crisp croutons underneath, I added pan grilled chicken and some provolone and Parmesan cheese. Yum!
This meal is essentially cooked all in one pan in less than 15 minutes! Everything is done indoors but sometimes I like to grill the chicken instead. I typically fire up the grill at least a couple times a week and always have chicken marinating in the fridge. If you want to grill the chicken instead, marinate your chicken breasts in a bottle of balsamic or Italian dressing throughout the day. Cook on the grill then serve with the bruschetta on top. Same dish, but slightly different flavor. Nothing beats the flavor of a grill in my opinion.
This is the perfect weeknight dinner for two. If you are serving more than two, just double or triple the recipe as needed. I’m typically just cooking for my husband and I…so this portion is perfect for the both of us.
I love to serve this alongside rice or angel hair pasta. Or even a Caesar salad (my favorite)! All are delicious. Oh and maybe a class of wine also!
BRUSCHETTA CHICKEN FOR 2
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 10-12 minutes
Total time: 22 minutes
- 3 Roma tomatoes, seeded and cut into small squares
- 1 shallot, minced
- 1 clove garlic, minced or pushed through a press
- 1/2 lemon, juice of
- 2 tbsp good quality extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp fresh basil, chiffonade cut
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1 large chicken breast, cut in half into two equal pieces (about 1 inch thick)
- Olive oil
- 1 tsp Kosher salt
- 1 tsp Pepper
- 1 tsp Dried oregano
- 1 tsp Dried parsley
- 1/2 tsp Garlic powder
- 2 slices provolone
- 4 small slices Parmesan cheese
- Combine all the ingredients for the bruschetta in a large bowl. Set aside for later use.
- Heat a large cast iron skillet to medium heat.
- Evenly sprinkle the chicken with the spices, front and back.
- Once the pan is hot, drizzle in enough olive oil to coat the pan. Place the chicken in the pan and cook for about 4 minutes a side.
- When the chicken is about almost done cooking, place both cheeses on top of each piece of chicken and cover the pan with a lid. Turn the heat down to low and cook until cheese is melted, about 1 minute.
- Serve with bruschetta on top.