There’s nothing I love more than a one pot meal. Put it all in your Dutch oven and let it cook baby. There’s really nothing else to it. Your oven will do all the work. How nice is that? Prep dinner in less than 15 minutes and just wait till it’s all cooked and delicious. I know I’m not the only busy mama out there that loves a meal that I don’t have to try too hard at.
The first step? Wash your chicken off with cold water, pat it dry and remove the giblets from the inside. Next, chop your vegetables and place them in the pot. Then tie the legs of your chicken together to insure it cooks evenly. Cover your chicken in an herby lemon butter bath and place it on top of the vegetables. Finally, place it into the oven and let it go for about an hour and a half. Take it out and enjoy!
If you don’t own a Dutch oven or a ceramic/cast iron pot… a simple baking dish will do just fine. Cooking time might differ slightly if cooking in a baking dish. Use a thermometer to gage the temperature at the end of its cooking process. The dark meat will cook the slowest so always take your temperature from the thigh. Chicken temperature should be at 165 degrees F when done. Do your best not to overcook, otherwise it will become dry.
Once the chicken is removed from the oven, let it rest for 15 minutes. This is very important. If you carve the chicken too soon, the juices will escape and your chicken will be dry. The rest time allows for all the juices to stay inside the chicken. Letting your meat rest is the last, but most important step. Always remember that when cooking any type of meat!
PRODUCTS I LOVE:
ONE POT HERBY ROASTED CHICKEN WITH POTATOES AND CARROTS
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 1 hour + 15-30 minutes
Total time: 1 hour + 45 minutes
- 4.5-5 lb whole chicken
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) salted butter, room temperature
- 2 lemons, zest and juice
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 6 sprigs fresh thyme, stem removed and chopped
- 2 sprigs fresh rosemary, stem removed and chopped
- 1 sprigs fresh oregano, stem removed and chopped
- 1/4 cup chicken broth
- 3-4 (about 1 lb) large Yukon gold potatoes, chopped into large chunks
- 2 yellow onion, diced in quarters
- 3 large carrots, cut into 2 inch chunks
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
+ extra onion, herbs, lemon and garlic to stuff the cavity of the chicken with
- Preheat the oven to 475 degrees F.
- Remove the giblets from the chicken and rinse with cold water. Pat dry with paper towels. Make sure to get all the moisture off of the chicken.
- Place the onions, carrots and potatoes into the bottom of a Dutch oven (I use my 5.5 qt Le Cruset).
- Pour in the lemon juice and chicken broth on top of the vegetables.
- In a small bowl combine butter, garlic, lemon zest, thyme, rosemary and oregano.
- Sprinkle the entire chicken with salt and pepper. Including the inside of the cavity.
- Rub the entire chicken with the lemon herb butter. Rub over and under the skin.
- Stuff the cavity of the chicken with lemon halves, onion halves, extra fresh herbs and garlic cloves.
- Tie the legs of the chicken together with kitchen twine to insure even cooking.
- Place the chicken on top of the vegetables in the Dutch oven.
- Place the pot in the oven (on the middle rack) for about 20 minutes on 475 F. This will create a golden skin on the chicken.
- Turn the oven down to 350 degrees F once the skin turns golden brown.
- Continue to cook the chicken for approximately 1 more hour or until the temperature of the chicken reaches 165 degrees F.
- Once cooked, remove from the oven and let sit for 15 minutes.
- Once rested, carve the chicken and serve while warm.