Grilled chicken is a staple in my house. Don’t feel like slaving over dinner? Grilled chicken. Don’t have enough time to cook? Grilled chicken. Need something healthy? Grilled chicken. Food for a crowd? Grilled chicken. It’s easy, simple and something we all enjoy. Throw it on a salad. Serve with potatoes. Serve with rice. Or maybe with grilled or sautéed veggies. The possibilities are endless. Leftovers? Great for lunch the next day over a salad or in a sandwich. It’s seriously one of my favorite things to cook.
This marinade is simple. Most likely, you’ll have most of the ingredients already on hand. This recipe is for boneless skinless chicken thighs but feel free to use breasts or bone in pieces of chicken. You can start your marinade early in the morning before dinner, at lunchtime or marinate it overnight. 6-12 hours is typically when it tastes it’s best. Be careful not to marinate for too long!
BOURSIN SCALLOPED POTATOES (one of my personal favorites!)
KALE CAESAR PASTA SALAD (also so good too!)
ITALIAN MARINATED GRILLED CHICKEN
Prep: 6-12 hours
Cook time: 15 minutes
Total time: Up to 12 hours 15 minutes
- 12 boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 1 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/2 lemon, juice of
- 1/2 cup pecorino romano cheese, grated
- 1 tbsp dried oregano
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1 shallot, cut in half
- Place all the ingredients in a large gallon size resealable bag. Mix around so that all the marinade is dispersed. Marinate in the fridge for 6-12 hours.
- Remove from the fridge 30-45 minutes before cooking so that it can warm up a bit.
- Preheat your grill to about 400 degrees F. (Medium high).
- Take the chicken out of the marinade and let the marinade drip off slightly before placing on the grill. Place chicken over direct heat and cook for about 5 minutes a side or until its internal temperature reaches 165 degrees F.
- Remove from the grill and let sit for 10 minutes before serving.
- Sprinkle with scallions, fresh basil, or fresh parsley.