I gotta say it… these grits are so addicting. I love cheese grits in general… but add some sausage to them and they are unreal. I’m sitting here watching home alone with candles lit and can’t help but be in the Christmas spirit. It is only November but I cannot contain my excitement for the holidays! Although the holidays are “hectic” for some, I find them pretty relaxing in a weird way. It’s just a really happy time of the year and no matter how busy things seem to get, I can help but feel so blessed and grateful for everything and everyone I have in my life.
Let’s talk about Christmas morning. Everyone is up and opening presents and also getting ready for Christmas lunch or dinner. So breakfast isn’t really a priority…. except it should be. These grits are the perfect thing to make ahead and cook on Christmas morning. They are the perfect cosy breakfast for a chilly Christmas morning while opening gifts. Plus, we all know nothing is open on Christmas Day. These grits are no fuss and no stress in the kitchen. Prep the day before but do not bake. Simply take the dish out of the fridge morning of, let it come to room temp and then cook in the oven! Seriously it’s that simple.
COUNTRY SAUSAGE AND CHEESE GRITS CASSEROLE
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 30 minutes
Total time: 50 minutes
- 4 cups water
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1 cup lakeside yellow grits
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 lb hot pork breakfast sausage
- 1/2 white onion, finely diced
- 1 cup sharp white cheddar cheese, grated
- 4 tbsp butter, salted
- 3 tbsp heavy cream
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 tsp dried parsley
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F.
- Heat a large pan to medium heat. Add in onion, olive oil and sausage. Cook until sausage is cooked and broken down. Set aside for now.
- Pour water into a large pot and heat it to a boil. Once boiling, add in salt and grits and keep on high heat till the grits also come to a soft boil.
- Turn heat down to the lowest setting and cover with a lid. Allow grits to cook for about 5 minutes covered.
- Turn off heat.
- Crack eggs into a bowl and whisk. Add in 1 cup of the hot cooked grits to the eggs and whisk till combined. Add this mixture back to the hot pot of grits.
- Now add in the cooked sausage and onion, cheddar cheese, butter, cream, salt, pepper and dried parsley. Mix to combine.
- Transfer the grits to a baking dish.
- Place in the oven for 30 minutes or until grits are hot all the way through.
- Remove from oven and serve hot.