Does anything scream fall more than slow cooked meat? I love to be able to prep dinner earlier in the day and let it cook slow and low till dinner time. Not only is it easy, but the flavors created throughout those long hours of cooking are unmatched. You can truly taste a difference in flavor and texture with the longer a meat cooks.
This recipe is super simple, which is what I love about it. It’s basically the same steps you do when prepping a pot roast. Seer the meat and veggies really good and then add in some broth and wine. The wine is really what brings this dinner to the next level. It’s so rich a delicious. Then after the seering part, you’ll throw it all in the oven for a few hours and let it do its thing.
I love to serve mine with mashed potatoes and a crusty baguette. Bread is a must in order to soak up all those slow cooked juices!
Tip: This recipe calls for one cup of red wine. I used a merlot. I recommend to use a wine that you love. The flavor of the meat will depend of what kind of wine you use, so be sure you like it!
RED WINE BRAISED BEEF SHORT RIBS
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 3 hours
Total time: 3 hours 20 minutes
- 8 chuck short ribs
- Kosher salt
- Black pepper
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 sprigs rosemary
- 10 sprigs thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 yellow onion
- 5 large cloves garlic, smashed
- 5 carrots, washed
- 1 tbsp packed light brown sugar
- 4 faves worcestershire
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 cup red wine
- 1.5 cups beef stock
- Pomegranate seeds for topping, optional
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F.
- Season the short ribs with salt and pepper on every side.
- Heat a large Dutch oven pot to medium high heat. Add in olive oil and short ribs. Seer the short ribs on each side until they are a deep brown on the edges, about 1 minute a side. Remove from the pot and set aside.
- Add in the onion, garlic and carrots. Seer and then also remove from the pot.
- Add in wine, broth, balsamic, Worcestershire, sugar, rosemary, thyme and bay leaves. Bring to a boil and then turn off heat.
- Add back in the short ribs. Then place the garlic, onion and carrot in top of the meat. Cover with a lid and then place in the oven
- Cook for 3 hours.
- Remove from the oven and serve with mashed potatoes and pomegranate seeds for a salty/sweet burst of flavor.