You can’t go wrong with the classics right? Just like this recipe. It’s the perfect bowl of cozy, creamy broccoli and cheese soup. What makes this meal even better? It comes together in less than 30 minutes. It’s by far one of the easiest and fastest soups on my blog.
This may sound weird… but this soup is such a great base soup. By “base soup”, I mean it’s super buildable. You can add cooked wild rice or shredded rotisserie chicken to make it more hearty. Maybe add a few fresh herbs? Or some chunky carrots? I love to build onto this soup and I recommend you do so too! Not that it’s not incredible as is… because believe me I could drink the stuff. But it’s always fun to switch up classic recipes to make it a little more fun and exciting.
The perfect thing to place alongside this soup? A crispy baguette or some flaky puff pastry to dip in that creamy broth goodness.
Try some other soups:
CREAMY BROCCOLI AND WHITE CHEDDAR SOUP
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes
Total time: 25 minutes
- 1/2 large yellow onion, finely diced
- 3 cups broccoli florets, chopped small
- 3 tbsp butter
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1 cup whole milk
- 3/4 cup cream
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 2 cups sharp white cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 tsp kosher salt, more or less to taste
- 1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- Heat a large pot to medium heat. Add in butter, onion and broccoli. Cook till tender, about 3-5 minutes. Add in flour and cook an additional minute while stirring.
- Add in milk, cream, chicken broth and Dijon. Stir while allowing it to come to a soft boil. Once softly boiling, add in cheese and turn heat down to low. Stir till cheese is melted.
- Add in salt and pepper. Turn off heat and enjoy hot.