Happy national pizza day America! Apparently there’s a national food day every damn day now? And I swear national pizza day comes around like 5 times a year? Am I the only one who thinks these national food shoutout holidays are annoying? I guess it does give you an excuse to indulge in some of your favorite foods.
For national pizza day I am sharing a very simple white pizza with fresh mozzarella and prosciutto. The white sauce consists of cream, garlic, butter and some parm. It’s quick and easy and we love it when it’s cooked in my Ooni Koda pizza oven! You can check out my Neapolitan pizza dough post for all the details on my Ooni oven and the difference between this oven and a regular oven!
Try some of my other favorite pizzas:
For dough and oven info:
PROSCIUTTO PIZZA BIANCA
Prep time: See dough recipe for estimated time
Cook time: 5 minutes
Total time: See dough recipe for estimated time
Serves: Enough sauce for 2 medium sized pizzas
- NEAPOLITAN PIZZA DOUGH
- Prosciutto slices
- 1 ball fresh mozzarella, cut into 1/2 inch chunks
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 lemon, juice of
- 2 tbsp grated Parmesan cheese
- Make NEAPOLITAN PIZZA DOUGH
- Heat your Ooni oven to high heat (around 900 degrees) or heat your regular oven to 550 degrees F or as hot as it goes. Place a pizza stone in the oven while it heats up.
- Stretch your dough out to about 1/4 – 1/2 inch thick and dust a pizza peel with corn flour.
- Place the butter and garlic in a small pot on medium heat. Allow garlic to get aromatic. Add in cream, lemon juice and Parmesan. Allow to come to a soft boil and then turn down to simmer. Allow to sit on simmer for 5 minutes until it thickens. Turn off heat and let cool.
- Spoon the sauce onto the pizza dough. Use about 2 big spoonfuls. Be careful to not use too much or the pizza will not cook in the middle. Same goes for toppings…Less is more. Then place the fresh mozzarella and shredded mozzarella sporadically across the pizza. Tear the prosciutto into small pieces and place on top.
- Slide the pizza into the preheated Ooni oven. Cook on high heat for 30-45 seconds. Flip the pizza and continue to cook until all the edges are browned. Turn heat down to low and place the pizza back into the oven while flipping every 30 seconds. After about 2 minutes the pizza should be done. (Refer to my OONI HOW TO highlight on my Instagram for video directions on how I cook my pizzas.)
- To cook in a normal oven: Slide the pizza onto the hot pizza stone. After about 5 minutes, flip the pizza quickly. Most ovens are hotter in the back so this step is important for an evenly cooked pizza. Continue to cook for an additional 5-7 minutes until the pizza is crispy and toppings are melted.