When I have nothing in the fridge for dinner… this is what I make. Most of the ingredients are pantry and fridge staples that I’ll already have on hand. No matter what, I always have a weird assortment of veggies in the fridge… which is perfect for a stir fried anything. You can really go in any direction with this recipe. I use shrimp but you could also use chicken, tofu or no protein at all. A simple veggie fried rice is just as good in my opinion! I’ve tried them all!
There’s a few rules to follow when making fried rice. My first rule of thumb is to use a nonstick pot, preferably a wok. Woks are very inexpensive and can be found pretty much anywhere these days. I got my latest wok at target for $30ish. Nonstick is great so that no rice will stick to the wok. Nonstick also just helps it cook properly.
The last tip I have for you is to make sure your rice is at room temp or cold from the fridge. You can make he rice earlier in the day or you can even use leftover rice stored in the fridge. This is important because hot rice will just turn mushy when added to the wok. Cooper rice stays separation and will “fry” much better. Don’t skip this step!
SHRIMP FRIED RICE
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 30 minutes
Total time: 45 minutes
- 2 cups uncooked sushi rice
- 1 lb medium sized shrimp, peeled and deveined
- Kosher salt
- 2 tbsp canola oil
- 2 eggs
- 2 tbsp fresh ginger, minced
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 1/2 cup shredded carrots
- 1 green bell pepper, large chop
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- 1 cup green cabbage, large chop
- 1 bunch scallions, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1 tbsp oyster sauce
- 1 tbsp sriracha
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 1/4 tsp sugar
For spicy mayo: mix all ingredients together
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tbsp sriracha, more or less to taste
- 1-2 tsp water, to thin it out
- Cook sushi rice according to package instructions. Allow rice to cool completely before cooking fried rice. You can make it earlier in the day or the day before and store in the fridge.
- Heat a large nonstick wok to medium high heat. Season shrimp with salt. Add in canola oil to the wok and allow to heat up. Add in ginger and shrimp. Cook shrimp for 2 minutes a side, or until cooked through. Remove the shrimp from the wok and set aside.
- Add in eggs and stir to scramble. Cook for about 30-40 seconds until almost cooked through. Add in all vegetables and stir together with the eggs. Sauté vegetables for 30 seconds and then add in the cooked sushi rice and shrimp. Mix everything together. Add in the sauce ingredients and give it another mix.
- Allow the fried rice to sit still and cook for about 1 minute. Mix the rice and then allow to cook another minute uninterrupted. This will give the rice a good crisp exterior on the parts that touched the bottom of the wok.
- Turn heat off and garnish with scallions and spicy mayo.