4 ingredients. That’s all it takes to recreate that restaurant style white queso we all know and love. This recipe is super easy and very quick to make so I won’t bore you with my words.
All you really need to know is that you need this queso in your life. Especially during these times when snacking seems to be inevitable. We’re all stuck inside with this quarantine, so why not make the best of it by having some bomb snacks to munch on?
Where do I buy my white American cheese?
This question seems to come up a lot so I will address it. I go to the deli counter at my local Publix and tell them to slice me an 8 oz. chunk of “Boars Head White American” (or however much I need) instead of slicing it. This way it’s easier to cut up to make queso. They will gladly do this for you.
CLASSIC WHITE QUESO
Prep time: 35 minutes
Cook time: 10 minutes
Total time: 45 minutes
Serves: Makes about 3 cups queso
- 8 oz. white American cheese, cut into small chunks
- 8 oz. cream cheese, cut into small chunks
- 2 cups whole milk
- 3 jalapeños
* Optional toppings: Mexican crema, hot sauce, cotija cheese, cilantro or pico.*
- Preheat the oven to high broil.
- Place the jalapeños on a sheet pan and place in the oven on the top shelve. Cook the jalapeños for about 10 minutes while turning every 2 minutes to insure all the sides get blistered and charred.
- Remove the jalapeño from the oven once fully blistered and immediately place in a sealed plastic bag for 10 minutes. This will allow the jalapeños to steam so that you can remove the skin easily.
- Remove the blistered skin from the jalapeños and finely chop. (If you do not like spice, remove the stems and seeds inside before chopping).
- Add the cheeses, milk and jalapeño to a large pot. Turn heat to medium. Whisk frequently until the cheese is melted and the queso thickness. Turn heat off once combined.
- Add toppings (optional) and enjoy while hot!