There is really nothing more satisfying to me than a cold glass of agua fresca on a hot day. Seriously, it is the most refreshing thing in the world on a summer day. It’s sweet from the agave and tangy from the lime juicy. Then the cucumber is mellow and the mint adds a pop of freshness. Truly incredible. You can also easily make this into a cocktail by adding vodka… YUM! It’s Labor Day today, so it’s the perfect time to blend up some homemade agua fresca!
Agua fresca is essentially just fruits blended with sugar and water. Then it’s strained to get all the pulp out so you get a smooth finish to your drink. It’s incredibly simple and takes maybe 5 minutes to make. There’s no reason to be intimidated… this stuff is so easy to create.
CUCUMBER LIME MINT AGUA FRESCA
Prep time: 5 minutes
Total time: 5 minutes
Serves: 4-5 cups
- 1 large English cucumber, cut into chunks (keep skin on for a vibrant green color)
- 3-4 tbsp light agave syrup, more or less to taste
- 10 mint leaves
- 3 large limes, juiced
- 2 cups cold water
+lime wedges, cucumber slices and mint leaves for garnish
- Place the cucumber, mint, lime juice and water in a blender and blend on high speed for about a minute until there are no chunks and the consistency is smooth.
- Add agave syrup (to taste) and blend once more.
- Use a strainer and a spoon to help strain out the pulp.
- Serve over ice and garnish with lime wedges, cucumber slices and mint leaf.