If there’s one side dish I gravitate towards… it’s potatoes. You can cook potatoes in a million different ways… roasted, baked, mashed, French fried, etc… and chances are you always have some in your pantry. I don’t know about you, but potatoes are a pantry staple of mine I always have on hand. Since potatoes life span is fairly long, I love to stock up on them and create different variations throughout the week.
These potatoes are pretty standard and simple but are honestly so delish next to a roasted chicken or grilled steak. Slightly salty, a little crispy, extra buttery and just really good.
CRISPY SMASHED BUTTERED POTATOES WITH PANCETTA
Prep time: 3 minutes
Cook time: 40 minutes
Total time: 43 minutes
Serves: 4 side dish portions
- 1.5 lb baby dutch yellow potatoes
- 1.5 tbsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 4 oz diced pancetta
- 4 tbsp butter, salted
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp dried parsley
- Reserved cooking oil from pancetta
- Black pepper
- Chopped fresh parsley for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F.
- Cook the pancetta in a pan over medium heat till crispy. Drain pancetta but reserve the rendered fat in the pan for later on.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add in 1.5 tbsp kosher salt and 1 tsp baking soda. Then add in potatoes and parboil. (This should take about 10 minutes or less depending on how large or small your potatoes may be).
- Drain the potatoes and transfer to a baking sheet. Use the bottom of a glass (or other flat object) to gently press the potatoes flat (like picture above)
- Melt the butter and add it into a bowl along with the rendered fat from pancetta, garlic powder and dried parsley. Mix and drizzle over each of the potatoes.
- Next, lightly season the potatoes with salt and pepper.
- Place in the oven on the top rack for 15 minutes. After 15 minutes, turn the oven to a high broil and cook an additional 2 minutes (this is going to help crisp them).
- Remove potatoes from the oven and plate them. Sprinkle the pancetta and fresh parsley on top. Enjoy while hot!