Really simple tacos that pack a punch. The salmon is heavily sprinkled with a Mexican spice rub. Slightly sweet and a little spicy. Then pan grilled in olive oil for the perfect outer crust. I love to enjoy them on a corn tortilla with a spicy poblano crema…that is honestly good on just about everything. You can add some pico de gallo or sweet mango salsa to jazz it up. Or a handful of shredded cabbage or crunchy romaine. Do whatever you prefer or whatever you have on hand. This meal is intended to be made to each and everyone’s liking. It’s easy and the perfect addition to your weeknight rotation.
If you really want to go all out and make this a killer meal… then I recommend serving it with my guacamole fundido. YUM. Also whip up a bowl of my classic white queso. Maybe even drizzle some of that on the tacos? I won’t judge. Lastly, make my pico de gallo and you’re all set. (All of these will be linked below)
I am a little picky when it comes to salmon. I don’t like it too fishy, which is why I love a good farmed Atlantic salmon. It’s mild and a little more fatty than the others. It makes for the perfect tacos, trust me in this.
I personally love salmon skin when it’s fried in olive oil. It gets all crispy and salty. It’s the bacon of the sea as they call it. Although it’s just not great on tacos. It’s a bit too chewy for my taste. If your store only carries salmon with skin on… you can ask the fish counter guy to slice it off for you. Or you can also do it yourself at home. Most times I cook it with the skin on. Then once it’s done cooking, the skin will peel right off no problem. Just a little tip I wanted to share with all of you!
To pair with:
Other amazing tacos you MUST try:
SPICY CHILI BUTTER SHRIMP TACOS
CITRUS MARINATED SKIRT STEAK FAJITAS
CHILI SPICED SALMON TACOS WITH POBLANO AVOCADO CREMA
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 40 minutes
Total time: 50 minutes
Serves: 7-8 small corn tortilla tacos
- 2 lb Atlanta salmon filets
- 1.5 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp chipotle chili powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp sugar
- Olive oil for pan
- 4 poblanos
- 1 jalapeño
- 1/4 bundle cilantro
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1/2 large ripe avocado
- 4 tbsp sour cream
- 1 tsp kosher salt, more or less to taste
- Pinch of sugar
- Corn tortillas, warmed over stove or microwave
- SIMPLE PICO DE GALLO
- CLASSIC WHITE QUESO
- Lettuce or shredded cabbage
- Mix all spices together and then heavily season each piece of salmon with seasoning.
- Heat a large cast iron skillet to medium heat. Add in enough olive oil to coat bottom of pan. Add in the salmon in batches so that you do not overcrowd the pan. Cook for about 4-5 minutes a side until salmon is cooked through. Remove from pan, lightly season with more salt and set aside.
- Roast poblanos and jalapeño over an open flame on gas stove until all sides are charred black. Should take about 10 minutes. You can also place peppers on a sheet pan in the oven on high broil. Turn poblanos every few minutes until all sides are charred black. Once roasted, throw it all into a sealable bag. Wait 15 minutes and then remove the peppers onto a cutting board.
- With gloves on, remove the skin off all peppers. Cut the stem off and remove seeds (keep seeds if you like it spicy).
- Place the peppers into a blender with the remaining ingredients and blend until smooth, about 1 minute. If the mixture is a little thick, you can thin it out with a small amount of water.
- Enjoy along with corn tortillas, pico de gallo and lettuce or cabbage.