If there were only one summer pie for me…. This is IT. Creamy, thick, sweet chocolate deliciousness. It’s a chilled pie with a pudding-like chocolate filling, crushed Oreo cookie crust and pillowy whipped cream to top it off.
CHOCOLATE CREAM PIE
Prep time: 1 hour
Total time: 12 hours
Serves: About 8 slices
For the crust:
- 25 Oreo cookies
- 4 tbsp melted butter
For the filling:
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1/8 tsp kosher salt
- 2 tbsp corn starch
- 6 egg yolks (from large eggs)
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 2 cups half + half
- 2 — 4 oz. semi sweet chocolate bars, roughly chopped
- 2 tsp vanilla extract, good quality
- 3 tbsp unsalted butter
For the whipped topping:
- 1 pint (2 cups) heavy cream
- 1 tsp vanilla extract, good quality
- 2.5 tbsp sugar
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Place the Oreos and melted butter into a food processor and pulse till Oreos become tiny crumbs.
- Dump the Oreo/butter mixture into a pie pan. Gently push the Oreos down to the bottom and up the sides of the pan making a “crust”.
- Place the pie into the oven for about 15 minutes until the Oreo crust has hardened some and set in place.
- Remove from the oven and set aside.
- Place sugar, cocoa powder, salt and corn starch into a large tall sided pan. Whisk together.
- In a bowl combine egg yolks, half and half and cream. Whisk until fully combined. Pour this mixture into the pan with the sugar mixture.
- Turn heat on to medium and whisk constantly until it comes to a soft boil. Once softly boiling, the mixture should start to thicken. At this point, turn the heat down to low and add in the chocolate, vanilla and butter. Whisk for another 2 minutes until chocolate has melted and the mixture is smooth and thick. Turn heat off and take the pan off the stove. Let cool for about 10 minutes
- Once cooled, pour the filling into your pie pan. Cover with plastic wrap, making sure to push the plastic onto the filling so that condensation doesn’t form on the top of the pie.
- Place the covered pie in the fridge for 12 hours, or overnight.
- When ready to serve, make the whipped cream. Place the cream, sugar and vanilla in a stand mixer with the whisk attachment. (You may also use a hand mixer as well). Turn to medium speed and mix until thickened to a whipped cream consistency. About 4 minutes.
- Serve pie chilled with whipped cream topping.